I ran into an issue where I would get the error when I tried to configure the Shared Services Provider.

 

To resolve that, I had to delete the default Shared Services Provider in Sharepoint.

It cannot be done using the Central Administration tool. Instead, we have to use stsadm utility. But before we do that, all dependencies on the Shared Services Provider must be deleted.

To get rid of the dependencies, you will have to use a trick (I am sure this is NOT supported by Microsoft, so use at your own risk):
Open Sharepoint_Config database in SQL Server Management Studio and execute following query to fetch the SSP dependencies:
SELECT * from Objects WHERE Objects.name like ‘%SSP%’
Note that in the “Status” column, you’ll find “3”. Changing that back to default “0” (zero) does the job:
UPDATE Objects SET Objects.Status=0 WHERE Objects.name=’SSP’

Once those dependencies are gone, run the command:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN>stsadm -o deletessp -title “SSP”

Advertisements